Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socom Thoughts....
So then, what does everyone think of Socom ?

I've never played a Socom game before so it is all new to me but :

I find the controls a bit oddball, especially the zooming in and the over the shoulder view..

I seem to have endless dancing around CQB battles with people where we actually kill each other (ie we both die.....)

The menus for changing your kit etc seem to be sooooo slow.

Claymores don't work how I expected lol, it took me ages to understand you have to actually trigger them off yourself

I'd really rather the comms not come through my TV, I don't think my daughter needs to hear some 14 year old yank shout obscenities....
Just a word on the comms: Most of the comms come through the headset (if you have one), however if you stand next to someone you can hear evertyhing thats going on in their bed/living room as the microphone is allways recording and this comes through your tv speakers instead.

This includes enemies so if you creep up behind someone, you can hear them talking to their team or breathing heavily.
[Image: siggy3.jpg]

"look at that low-def noob, i'll bet he doesn't even have 16meg"
I was getting annoyed by the weird always leaning left posture but realised by turning off the motion sensor it got rid of that. Apart from lag and stuff I am enjoying it.
The important thing to remember is the way the games played ie when youre in a no respawn match the socom feeling just instantly comes back.

I like it I just wish the maps would load instantly or quicker!
ok, i think i need to try this with you guys - are we going to try it tonight at 9 ?
i'm in tonight so will be on from nine till late.
Think the best thing that Ive done is turn off motion sensor and change the view from "over the shoulder" to default!! That way it plays like good old Socom!

Loving it overall, what a difference a PS3 processor makes cos Xroads looks bloody amazing!!
[Image: Mikeflame38420664.jpg]
(07-09-2008, 01:09 PM)Mikeflame Wrote: Think the best thing that Ive done is turn off motion sensor and change the view from "over the shoulder" to default!! That way it plays like good old Socom!

Loving it overall, what a difference a PS3 processor makes cos Xroads looks bloody amazing!!

If you do that can you still lean ?
be on from 8. loading is about only thing peeing me off
[Image: Philmore_Butt.png]
(07-09-2008, 01:32 PM)Muppet Wrote:
(07-09-2008, 01:09 PM)Mikeflame Wrote: Think the best thing that Ive done is turn off motion sensor and change the view from "over the shoulder" to default!! That way it plays like good old Socom!

If you do that can you still lean ?

yeah, use the d-pad. how do you turn it off though? i havent seen any options at all :S
[Image: bigdavrx4.jpg]
Switched back to the classic socom view didnt really like it that much, got to used to "over the shoulder", im liking the motion sensor usage as well have started to find it invaluable when camping a corner with a few enemies closing in down the road.

Obvious issues with the loading and laggy menu systems but actual game play has been more or less fine, had a few drops in the frame rate last night but didnt really bother me and it didnt persist as a problem.

Open mic for listening in has been interesting not heard the usual torrent of shit from ppl and its proved its worth time and time again when camping and the enemy keep talking as they approach the corner and my claymore, so im all for it provided it doesn't become a source of constant noise from tits with their music on

im well into claymore usage again, blast radius seems a tad short from s1, but at least nades on the other side of the map dont trigger them so you can still make decent use or with a direct hit clear a path though them. Weapons swapping system i find it clunky on the default settings so ive put it on L2 and swapped team wide comms to Circle, its still not perfect but its definitely an improvement for me.

Not liking the use noob tubes which have already become the norm in matches, its not effected me greatly yet, but once they have refined the art it will piss me off royally, i assume like past socoms they will exclude their use from matches.

Overall assuming the loading times and laggy menus are resolved i reckon i'll be playing it for quite sometime, unless like past socoms we get inundated with glitches and cheats
(07-09-2008, 02:17 PM)bigdav Wrote: yeah, use the d-pad. how do you turn it off though? i havent seen any options at all :S
Its in the options iirc calledmotion sensing, not six axis Smile
LIVE - SporranUK, PSN - artois, Wii - 7214 5274 3207 7112
I think its missing alot of polish, and think they should delay release until november to get everything right on it. This is being touted as a demo rather than beta, which has me a little scared. Does anyone know how long it takes them to ship to stores after going gold? cos I wondering if they have enough debug time.

Biggest issue I have is the random disconnect I seem to be having, no error message or nothing, just dumps me back to the main menu. everything says I am still connected so its a bit of a mystery.

Hope the framerate issues are addressed.

Quality of peoples comms are extremely varied, amazing how I took it for granted on the 360.

Menus and loading times are my biggest gripe, that and finding people.

It feels closer to graw than socom, blue diamonds, people still take more hits than I would like, although I am not ok with the controls yet, it still feels a bit spray and pray at the moment, and has anyone else noticed the first bullet from a burst never seems to hit its mark. I can be acog'ed in firing single rounds at someone only for them all to miss.
(08-09-2008, 09:52 AM)Sir_SpankalotUK Wrote: I think its missing alot of polish, and think they should delay release until november to get everything right on it. This is being touted as a demo rather than beta, which has me a little scared. Does anyone know how long it takes them to ship to stores after going gold? cos I wondering if they have enough debug time.

Biggest issue I have is the random disconnect I seem to be having, no error message or nothing, just dumps me back to the main menu. everything says I am still connected so its a bit of a mystery.

Hope the framerate issues are addressed.

Quality of peoples comms are extremely varied, amazing how I took it for granted on the 360.

Menus and loading times are my biggest gripe, that and finding people.

It feels closer to graw than socom, blue diamonds, people still take more hits than I would like, although I am not ok with the controls yet, it still feels a bit spray and pray at the moment, and has anyone else noticed the first bullet from a burst never seems to hit its mark. I can be acog'ed in firing single rounds at someone only for them all to miss.

I agree with you on a number of points :

The blue triangles do remind me of Graw

Too many hits required to take someone down.

Too "spray and pray" for my liking - even 1st couple of shots are not always hitting where you placed them on single shot mode.

Comms work ok for me, but then maybe my comms sound shit to everyone else ?

I find it incredible that at this stage of consoles development I need to have a laptop (MSN & Fed shoutbox) and the PS3 running in order to meet up with my mates for a game..... This is the area where I think 360 just blows PS3 away - is it really that hard to show me what room my mates are in and give me the option to join them ?

Ping.. Why is there no indication of a rooms connection quality ? I know there are different areas. But there seem to be yanks setting up rooms in "english speaking" as well as in their "US" areas, and you can't tell until you join the room.... then you find out you cant hit a donkeys arse with a banjo.

How do the servers work ? if I make a room is it peer to peer (ie am I hosting on my PS3, or does it make a room on some server somewhere with my name on it ?)

The whole six-axis thing is very gimmicky - throwing a nade for example becomes a farce in my living room Wink

I really want this game to work, it could be great, but they need to sort these things out.
Ok I shall have a write here.
Firstly spanky, to produce a demo the code had to be cut off and frozen a long time ago. I have been informed, for example, that the loading times will not be as long as they are in final release (we shall see however).

I also do not have any random disconnects except for if the host leaves.

Framerate issues, again i do not have these.

Both you and muppet seem to have problems with the shooting. I can assure you it is very s1ish, and how it is supposed to be. I have no problems killing people in a few shots. I think the problem is you are to used to certain other games. Instead you should try short controlled bursts. Use the m16 to get you in the habit. I drop people left right and centre with no problem.

It uses servers muppet. I hope they restrict regions again too. Global gaming is the worst part of live, and now this game too.

As for comms, im afraid thats you spanky. I have no issue with comms, they are FAR better than any game i have on the 360.
I think you might be experiecing the fact that soem people are usign crap quailty mobile phone headsets, or their eytoy mic, which pics up noise all over the room. When the game releases with the official headset i would hope a lot of those disappear.

Muppet, turn six axis off if you have issues witrh it. Smile
You arent the only person who cant seem to through a grenade. But i find that weird. The only thing the six axis cotrols is under or over arm afaik, its how hard you depress the button for how far you throw it. You cant just tap it or you wont throw it far.