Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ps3 Modding
Code is now released to the public, it works at present by booting the PS3 via the USB rather than off the firmware on the PS3...

At present you can download the software and program a "teensy" USB box and use that.

Within the next couple of days it is expected that you will be able to use a PSP of all things !

you can then take a disc, rip it onto the HD, and play it from there without the use of the disc anymore.

There are problems, such as only Fat32 being supported at present (restricts the file sizes of files on the rip) and some games don't run after being ripped, but now the file is public it will be crowd sourced and progress will intensify.

They reckon that because the USB boots before the firmware that firmware updates can't bypass it... we shall see !

Whether this is all a good thing or a bad thing is debatable, but it is happening....
they will probably just remove the ability to play games from the console, rather like they did with the linux feature.
(02-09-2010, 03:15 PM)Sir_SpankalotUK Wrote: they will probably just remove the ability to play games from the console, rather like they did with the linux feature.

not sure where that would leave us, since games are downloadable from the PSN store and Blu Ray is reportedly very slow at reading data hence the mandatory install to HD on most games ?
you must have missed the sarcasm, I meant completely remove the ability to play games from the console.

They never bothered to fix the linux issue instead they just completely removed the feature.

Do find it rather funny that hackers find this out from sony's very own firmware repair tools (assuming the information I read is accurate ofcourse).
(02-09-2010, 05:24 PM)Sir_SpankalotUK Wrote: you must have missed the sarcasm, I meant completely remove the ability to play games from the console.

They never bothered to fix the linux issue instead they just completely removed the feature.

Do find it rather funny that hackers find this out from sony's very own firmware repair tools (assuming the information I read is accurate ofcourse).

Sorry m8, yeah missed it Wink

Yes I understand the source for all this was a console being shipped back from repair with the debug tool still inserted into the USB port, some-one at the factory is going to get fucked for that one Big Grin
I wouldn't mind installing some games onto the hdd if it turns out to be undetectable
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/art...?id=262945

Not in Australia it seems !
[Image: fs_overall.png]
(03-09-2010, 03:26 PM)Superjoe Wrote: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/art...?id=262945

Not in Australia it seems !

It really doesn't matter now, Sony have bocked hardware coming into Europe too now.

but it is all irrelevant, the code is out on the net, the hardware required can be bought off the shelf for next to nothing and the software can even run on other USB devices (they have it running on a Nokia 900 for example)

Within a week or 2 you will be able to buy a "blank" usb device, plug it into your PC, load the software onto it, and then you have working debug chip...
So is this still working, or has the latest firmware stopped it?
Latest firmware has stopped it for now, although on the 3.41 software more and more expolits are now being found such as being able to write custom firmware. So it could well be the case in a few weeks that you will be able to upgrade to "custom" 3.42 and be online etc. I suspect a cat and mouse game to be on for a few months
Its stopped it as in, the PS3 will now not boot the disc?
stopped as in if you update to 3.42 then you can't enter debug mode with the usb key

so everyone is staying on 3.41 at present, and continuing development. You no longer need a disc in the drive for example, and emulators are being ported for snes etc.
but you cant go online at the mo?
I thought they could bypass the update or has that stopped as well.
no you can't go on psnet at present, you could get on by bypassing their DNS at first but that has stopped.

It's a waiting game now to see if they can beat 3.42.......
So you aint rushing out to buy one then,